Russell Group University Information Evening - Wednesday 9th November, 6pm
We are holding an information evening about Russell Group universities and the support offered as part of Didcot Sixth Form College on Wednesday 9th November. The information evening is open to interested Year 12 students and parents and will take place in Cockcroft Hall, Didcot Girls’ School, starting at 6pm and lasting for about an hour.
The Russell Group of universities are the top performing universities in the UK for research and teaching. The most famous of the Russell Group universities are Oxford and Cambridge, but the group includes a total of about 25 different institutions. Entry to them is extremely competitive, with around 15 applicants for each place across the Russell Group (it is actually lower for Oxbridge, but substantially higher for degrees such as Law and Medicine). As such, we have developed our own programme to support those students with the potential to achieve a place. If you are a student in Year 12 who secured a high number of GCSEs at A and A*, we strongly encourage you to become a member of this programme. Opportunties available as part of the programme include:
- The arrangement of ‘supra-curricula’ opportunities (such as master classes, lectures, essay competitions, public speaking and seminars)
- The Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) – a chance to research and pursue an academic study of their own choosing
- Mentoring with Oxford university undergraduates (arranged through our close relationship with Brasenose College, Oxford)
- Leadership opportunities throughout school – including mentoring younger pupils, working in lessons, organising and running clubs, and leading teaching activities in their chosen subject
- Interview preparation workshop given by Brasenose College, and individual subject interviews
- Information and advice meetings throughout Year 12 and 13, including ‘Writing effective personal statements’
- Bespoke references written by teachers following guidance and checking by the Russell Group leader
- An Oxbridge Group in Year 13 with targeted support for their specific entry requirements
- The support of the Russell Group Leader who monitors, advises and supports members of the Russell Group across both sites to ensure they maximise their potential.
I very much hope that you will consider joining the Russell Group and being part of this exciting, challenging and supportive provision.